News: At a time when the country is witnessing a surge in hatred against Muslims, a collective of Muslims individuals under the banner of #ApniEidSabkiEid have decided to celebrate Eid with different communities living in India. The group plans to visit Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Sacred Heart Church, Hanuman Mandir, and then distribute food and Sewai to the migrant workers.
Here are five components of the story
- The group comprises of Muslim professionals from different walks of life.
- Ershad Ahmed, a member of the group, said the intention to do this is to ensure that the right message of Islam is put across that talks about peace and prosperity.
- “India’s strength is its diversity and plurality; this can only be achieved with peace and harmony. We want to use this auspicious day to promote the same with different communities and also express empathy with the migrant workers.” Ershad added.
- Indian Muslims will be celebrating Eid tomorrow after 30 days of fasting amid the lockdown. Kerala and Kashmir celebrated the festival today with the rest of the world.
- Eid is the only day in the month of Shawwal ( Arabic calendar) during which Muslims are not permitted to fast. The date for the start of any Lunar month varies based on when the new moon is sighted by local religious authorities, so the day of celebration varies by locality.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.