News: Jamia Millia Islamia administration has served a show-cause notice to several students from the university for allegedly making derogatory remarks against the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. The show notice accused the student of making filthy comments on Prime Minister of India. However, students who received the notice denied making any such comment. One of them told Karvaan India that his post was satirical in nature and had no abusive content in it.
Here are five components of the story:
- The notice reads, “It has come to our notice that few anti-social elements have posted some offensive content about Honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modi.”
- It further accuses the students of maligning the universities name.
- The students who have received the notice have been called to give an explanation within a week’ time or face intimidatory action.
- One of the students who was served the notice said on conditions of anonymity, “First of all the investigation is factually incorrect since I don’t run that page, I had posted a satirical meme without any abusive content on my page and had later removed it. This is an attack on the democratic rights of the student community.
- We are still waiting for Jamia administration to revert to us on our query and will update their response shortly.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.