Kerala police have registered a case against BJP MP Maneka Gandhi, after she made false statements based on the killing of a pregnant elephant in the state, which has turned into a communal issue.
Here are five components of the story:
- Malappuram district police chief Abdul Karim IPS said that a First Information Report (FIR) has been registered under section 153 of the Indian Penal Code – wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause a riot.
- The former Union Minister had claimed in a video that the elephant was ‘fed a pineapple filled with a bomb’. Malappuram police have received seven complaints against Maneka Gandhi, and according to the Palakkad SP, the FIR was registered based on a complaint by a person named Jaleel.
- The FIR comes amid Gandhi’s communal remarks that were made when an elephant died in Mallapuram.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had also condemned the attempts to communalize the killing of the pregnant elephant.
- Kareem and Riyazuddin, suspected to be the owners of the estate – are absconding while Wilson who works in an estate in Palakkad has been arrested.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.