In series of arrests of Sikh youths, allegedly for their involvement in the ‘Khalistan movement’ Special Cell of Delhi Police has booked 21-year-old Luvpreet Singh under UAPA for being a sympathizer of Khalistan along with two others.
Here are five components of the story:
- Charges against Luvpreet Singh comes in the backdrop of many Sikh youths being rounded up and charged under UAPA for being alleged sympathizers of the Khalistan movement.
- 21-Year-old Luvleet Singh was also actively involved in anti-CAA protests at Shaheen Bagh and ran langar there.
- Luvleet’s lawyer Paramjit Singh confirmed to Karvaan India that he has been booked under UAPA and several other sections of Arms Act. However, he is not the only one to be booked; two other Sikh youths have been booked along with him. “ Prima Facia, these cases look cooked up, but I will be able to comment more after the charge sheet is filed,” Paramjit said.
- Luvleet belongs to Kaithal in Haryana and is skilled in some craftwork.
- Meanwhile, a group of prominent Sikhs from Punjab have addressed a letter the Chief Minister Amrinder Singh asking him to end this witch hunt and reprisal against Sikh youths at the earliest.
Independent Press is under threat
We believe that if we owe an explanation to anyone, it’s our readers. We make the powerful accountable to this democracy and remain answerable to only our readers. This becomes possible only with a little contribution from you. Consider making a small donation today and help us remain a free, fair and vibrant democracy watchdog.